Tuesday, May 27, 2008


James Delwood Newsome
1917-2008
Picture taken at Thanksgiving 2007


On Tuesday night I received a call from my mom telling me that Pop-Pop wasn't doing well. I could tell in my mom's voice that this time was serious. After talking to Paul we agreed that we shouldn't waste any time, and headed up to Virginia early Thursday morning. When we arrived in Virginia we immediately unpacked the car and drove to Pop-Pop's house. It was hard seeing Pop-Pop in his current state. Pop-Pop was always a young looking man to me, but today was different. With his eyes barely opened I introduced him to Addison and told him that I loved him. Before I knew it, Addison had a hold of his finger, and in that moment, I knew that he finally got to meet his great-granddaughter. Still holding on to every breath, we got a phone call Friday around lunch time saying that we needed to get over there as soon as we could because it was only a matter of time. After saying my final good bye, he gave me a big wink, letting me know that he heard me. The most beautiful thing happened next. The nurse had just informed us that sometimes people hold on because they are waiting for something or someone. Pop-Pop's daughter, only 9 years old (he had raised her since she was only 4 months) was picked up early from school. She gave Pop-Pop a hug and a kiss and within a couple minutes Pop-Pop took his last breath. It was one of the most beautiful things I had ever witnessed. I knew that Pop-Pop was finally no longer in pain and he is now looking down on me. Anyone who knows me, knows that I adored Pop-Pop more than anything. He taught me to love unconditionally. He taught me how to laugh and joke. And most of all he taught me the importance of living life to its fullness.

No comments: